Monday, July 27, 2009

Shouldn't You Be Thinking About Beating the Mustache Off Don Frye?

Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal is one of the brighter prospects in all of Mixed Martial Arts. I'm actually pretty annoyed with myself that I overlooked him when putting together my Top 10 Prospects list a couple weeks back.

The former Division II American Folkstyle wrestling champion has quickly made a name for himself in Japan, earning four straight wins and endearing himself to fans with his colorful entrances, complete with a crown, cape and entourage of women.

Despite an upcoming bout with UFC veteran and champion mustache-wearer Don Frye, Lawal has recently been making news for a growing war of worlds with Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

Two things jump to mind in wading through all the verbal sparring that is currently taking place:

1) There ain't a better shit-talker in the game than Rampage.

2) While it's not 1996 and Don Frye may be old, him and his mustache could still pull off an upset if you aren't paying attention.

The funniest part of all this is Lawal's recent retort on The Underground to a shot Rampage delivered via his blog on Fighthype:

Dont worry about me.....You need to focus on Rashad Evans. I aint gon waste no time with your ignorance. Keep on puttin on your routine and your corny over used punchlines....Our time for battle will come...You have your hands full with the former champ....I aint tryna be known for arguin with you. I feel bad for you cuz you playin yourself....You'll see what Im talkin bout when your career end. Its a shame.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking King Mo should be the one focusing on the present.

After all, he's fighting in less than a month and the former Pride and UFC Light Heavyweight Champion with 37 career fights has nearly two months before he has to lock'em up with Rashad.

And really, should a guy whose biggest win is over Travis Wiuff honestly be trying to talk shit with a guy whose resume includes wins over Wanderlei Silva, Chuck Liddell and Dan Henderson to name but three?

Yeah, Rampage didn't think so either ... enjoy the clip!



Shout out to my man Kelvin Hunt from MMA4Real for reminding me about this entertaining and continuing storyline.


2 comments:

Tell us what you think - good, bad or indifferent - and get ready for a counterpunch.